Friday 28 March 2014


Wednesday 26th. March. 

Drive down to Whakapapa in Tongariro National Park, via Cambridge and Lake Taupo. 

Travelling on the usual fast (100 km/h = 60 mph and is the Max Speed in NZ; as everyone drives at this speed, including the lorries, it all runs very smoothly) gently winding roads, in the usual but slightly different farming and bush scenery, makes for pleasant driving yet again, and even though I am on State Highway one the road is moderately empty at first, and after most traffic peels off to Rotorua, very empty the rest of the way.

I stop off for a restorative coffee and a small volcanic valley walk at Wairakei.

 

This is near the very large valley where they collect volcanic steam and transport it through a line of very large pipes to a power station.

 

And this is not on the scale of Rotorua, which I probably won’t get to compare as my time is now running out.

I stop off to see the Huka Falls through which Lake Taupo drains. Lake Taupo is very big, there is a lot of water: very impressive, and if you fell in you would not survive.

 

 
At Lake Taupo I get my first view Tongariro in the distance. Lake Taupo is a giant blue lake, and Taupo a very large holiday destination for Kiwis as well as overseas tourists; the lakefront drive is motel after motel after motel, all with vacancy signs: the season is definitely winding down.

 
 

Getting nearer I stop off at the site of historic former Maori Village Opotaka on Lake Rotoaira for a closer photo of Tongariro.

 
 

The Tongariro Crossing comes down the big gully to the right of the picture, between the two steaming vents, the left of which is new and residual from the recent volcanic activity in 2012, which closed the crossing for a while. 

And yes those are black swans: they are everywhere in quantity in NZ.

Circling around to the right and getting closer. Note Heather in Bloom: Another European import brought in with the extensive forestry in the area? 

 
Mount Tongariro at 1967 metres is the highest point on the left of the photo, and the giant Volcanic Ash Cone of Mount Ngauruhoe at 2287 is on the right. The crossing starts with a 600 metre ascent to the col between the two.

Mount Ruapehu at 2797 is 10 km. south of Ngauruhoe with Whakapapa Village where I hope to find accommodation nestling on its lower flank.

 

As I drive the final km. to Whakapapa I get my first glimpse of The Chateau Tongoriro: very impressive.
 

 

I run around the accommodation, and in the end decide to take the soft option, and book into the Chateau for 4 nights: I know this is going to cost me, but I am going to enjoy it.
 

I take advice on the Crossing from the DOC Visitor Centre. The wind has been strong today, rocking the car as I drove, and I am advised for tomorrow of clear skies, but very strong winds, and cold too, windchill factor -8˚C, and to leave it till the day after, but other people are given the OK by different staff, so I am going tomorrow unless the forecast is worse in the morning.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Roger!!! So glad to meet you in the mountain ;)
    You are fitness!!! haha
    Roxie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roxie belongs to Saturday 29th. I will get round to adding you in a few days time Roxie, so keep looking.

    ReplyDelete